Get your BAS covered and your agent registered

Published on Jun 18, 2018

Feel free to share

Get your BAS covered and your agent registered

Is your tax or BAS agent registered? Using an unregistered agent puts both you and your business at risk!

If you use an agent to prepare or lodge your tax and/or business activity statements (BAS), make sure they are registered with the Tax Practitioners Board.

Under the safe harbour provisions, taxpayers using a registered tax or BAS agent may not be liable to some administrative penalties imposed by the ATO in certain circumstances.  This could include where an agent is responsible for failing to lodge a document (such as an income tax return) on time, or making a false or misleading statement resulting in a shortfall of tax.

The benefits of using a registered agent include:

  • Peace of mind that your agent is qualified and bound by a Code of Professional Conduct
  • Knowing you are protected by your agent’s professional indemnity insurance
  • Extended lodgement dates for returns and statements

There are a couple of ways you can check to see if your agent is registered:

  • Look for the registered agent symbol
  • Check if a tax practitioner is registered search on TPB Register.

Tax practitioners who meet the eligibility criteria can use the symbol in advertising their tax agent or BAS or tax (financial) advice services, thereby promoting confidence among consumers.

What to look for:

Registered tax practitioners must use the appropriate symbol for their type of registration and with their registration number. If you’re a registered tax agent and would like to use the symbol, find the guidelines here.

The Tax Practitioners Board is the national body responsible for the registration and regulation of tax agents, BAS agents and tax (financial) advisers (collectively referred to as ‘tax practitioners’). The board is also responsible for ensuring compliance with the Tax Agent Services Act 2009 (TASA), including the Code of Professional Conduct (Code).

If your agent is providing tax services without being registered, let the Tax Practitioners Board know.

For more information, please contact the Australian Taxation Office, or the Tax Practitioners Board.

Similar News View All Similar News