Cessnock City is a major growth area, with the population forecasted to increase by up to 38% over the next 20 years according to the NSW Department of Planning & Environment.
Population growth is increasing the demand for child care facilities and services.
There is an under-supply of centre-based long day care and pre-school places in the City, with most centres having waiting lists. There are also waiting lists for Out of School Hours Care (OSHC) in some areas of the City. There is also a need for greater access to intervention and support services in Cessnock City.
- Expansion of existing long day care centres, pre-schools and Out of School Hours Care services
- Establishment of new long day care centres and pre-schools in Cessnock, Kurri Kurri and in locations to service the urban release areas including Huntlee, Heddon Greta and Cliftleigh
- Before school, after school and vacation care services
- Early childhood intervention services including Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Psychologists and Counsellors
- There is opportunity in the City for an indoor play centre and for extra-curricular activities for children of all ages.